Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Thinning

There is always an ebb and flow to life. I enjoy watching it and seeing what happens... Today was the big day: I did some thinning in the rabbit herd, deciding who to sell and who to keep, as I prepare for new rabbits, and keeping some from the last litters. So here's the scoop! Up for sale right now is...

Doe #1. Purebred Californian doe. She's two years old, but still having healthy litters. She had four kits this last time (typical of a 2 yo. doe), and wouldn't you know it? All are bucks... Which is wonderful if you're raising them for meat, since the males get a bit bigger, but I was really hoping for some does from her. She's being replaced by a younger doe. I'm asking $15 for Doe #1, since she's a bit older.

Glenstorm. "Glen" is my New Zealand/Beveren buck who is jet black in color. He's 1 year old, and has thrown some really nice kits! I had thought that I was going to keep him, since I like him so much, but I've decided to stick to light colored stock, not dark colored. $20 for this handsome fella'.

Babies!! I have four strapping, 6 week old bucks that are out of Doe #1 and Glenstorm. So they're New Zealand/Beveren/Californian crosses. They'll be good for the freezer, or for using as herdsires. Two bucks are black, and two are marked like Californians. I admit I really wanted to keep one of the blacks... Ah well. $10 each.

And I also have two Californian/New Zealand Jr. bucks, plus a little Jr. doe of the same cross from Rosie Cotton and Basil Stag Hare. They're 6 weeks old as well, and all are marked like Californians (I think some are blue, but I can't tell yet if they'll darken more or not). $10 each.

And I have more litters on the way! Doe #2 is due to kindle any day now (thought for sure it would be last night), and this will be a purebred Californian litter. Plus, I'm getting a copper Satin doe in a couple weeks who is bred to a New Zealand, so I'll have some really nice crosses from that as well! Rosie Cotton is about to be rebred, but I haven't decided who I will breed her to yet.... Decisions, decisions... 

I am open to trades as well! Whatcha' got? ;) I'm looking for young does (rabbits) of any meat breed, and am also on the lookout for an angora doe... But hey, if you have an idea (poultry, goat kids, lambs, a milking Jersey cow [wink], or a pickup truck) give a shout and we'll do some haggling! 

You can contact me by clicking, HERE.

2 comments:

nancy said...

Our prices around here are really high, compared to yours! Does are $100.00+, must be a lack of them here...

Goat Song said...

Some breeds are in the $100-$200 range over here! It just depends on the breed... One breed that I really want (Belgian Hare) is in the $250-$300 range, and they have to be shipped in from another state! Thus the reason why I don't have any yet... I can't see the wisdom in spending $600 for a rabbit that can't even be used for meat! But they sure are pretty... Someday. Someday I'll manage to get myself a trio. :)